Website Jireh Doo Foundation
Voice of the Voiceless
Title: Nutrition Officer
Location: Borno (Dikwa, Mafa and Rann)
Duration: 10 Months
Application deadline 17th March 2023
Number of positions 3
Advert Status Internal/External
Jireh Doo Foundation (JDF) is a National Non-government organization with over 19 years’ existence and actively intervening in the humanitarian response in the Northeast and other parts of the country since 2013. JDF works in the following thematic areas.
1. Improved response to the humanitarian needs of vulnerable people.
2. Improved gender equality and livelihood support for persons at the community level of young persons, men, and women.
3. Promotion of prevention and treatment of HIV and other health disease burdens (Malaria, TB and Diarrhea).
4. Promotion of protection programs for children and youth in Communities that encourages child development and Adolescent empowerment.
5. Promoting good governance and policies
6. Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability learning, and sharing of information on protection, and livelihood support accessible through
knowledge and information management.
Jireh Doo Foundation is therefore seeking candidates with a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and a minimum of two (2) years working in a similar role as a nutrition officer and is familiar with the implementation of WFP projects, especially in Deep field locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.Provide overall technical leadership and direction to nutrition activities being implemented in line with the NHF technical narrative, work plans and targets.
2. Ensure quality and timely identification and treatment of medical complications associated with malnutrition in SC/OTP/SFP.
3. Ensure that all required observations, prescribed treatment, and procedure are accurately carried out and documented.
4.Train and mentor JDF nutrition staff and other key partners in SAM, MAM, Mother/Family MAUC, IYCF-E and FSL; especially the CMAM staff.
5.Ensure the establishment of nutrition monitoring activities and train nutrition staff in case detection and referral system.
6.Ensure timely reporting in accordance with set deadlines.
7.Monthly submission of CMAM report to the Project manager.
8.Improve the provision of quality nutrition counselling in the community and other entry points in the health programme in liaison with relevant JDF sectors.
9.Plan and conduct continuous monitoring of the TSFP, OTP, and SC patient identified by JDF
10.Participate in program planning and roll-out of new program areas in liaison with key cooperating partners.
11.Lease with Supply Chain Department in logistical Program Supplies procurement and Monitoring Supply control.
12. Uphold JDF code of conduct at respective work area.
13. Manage the technical aspects of the CMAM programme including staff and budget management.
14.Assess the training needs of the CMAM team and conduct/ request for training as appropriate
15.Co-ordinate the activities of each Assistant Officer. Conduct appraisals of each Officer’s work performance every three months.
16.Report directly to the NPM ensuring that all problems are conveyed in a timely manner.
17.Assist in nutrition surveys, which includes logistics, cluster sampling, organization of the teams, survey methodology,
18.With the Assistant Officers, arrange the distribution and transport schedules and submit them to the relevant departments one week in advance.
19.Ensure that the TSFP team have all food and equipment that they require for each distribution.
20.Ensure that the sub stores are correctly maintained for the safe storage of food and report.
21.Ensure the accurate records of the stock are taken these include the type, source and location of food related to the programme.
22.Monitor the effectiveness of the programme and report monthly on all nutrition activities. Submit the report to the MEAL Team b
23.Prepare Monthly, quarterly, and annual reports in collaboration with Programme Manager and Senior MEAL Officer.
24.Collaborate with other programme sectors in sharing information and ideas ensuring that the implementation of the nutrition programme complements other emergency and development activities within the programme.
25.Provide technical support and training where required to all team members.
26.Generate ideas to strengthen the development of the nutrition unit.
27.Perform other duties as assigned
Supervision and Leadership
1. Directly supervise 2 Assistant Nutrition Officers, 1 MEAL Officer and 6 Nutrition field assistants.
2. Supervise and work in strict collaboration with the nutrition team in the screening activities of severely/moderately malnourished children.
3. Identify training gaps for the incentive staff and beneficiaries within nutrition program and communicate the same to the program manager.
Qualification and experience
1. Must have a bachelor’s degree in Nutrition & Dietetics.
2. Possess ability to analyze and interpret both quantitative and qualitative programmed data.
3. Possess excellent planning and organizational skills.
4. Ability to work with minimal supervision.
5. Possess a high level of integrity and interpersonal skills.
6. Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office-Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
7. At least 2-5 years’ experience of managing a CMAM programme or working in a supervisory role related to CMAM & IYCF activities.
8. Good understanding of SMART methodology for Nutrition surveys
9. Experience with training of staff in CMAM and IYCF
10. Ability to read and interpret nutrition reports.
11. Experience in leading nutritional surveys using SMART methodology
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Addition nutrition training in CMAM/IMAM/IPC and CH and is an added advantage.
2. Strong communication skills, oral, written and presentation.
3. Previous work experience in northeast of Nigeria
4. Previous experience working in insecure contexts.
5. Very flexible and have the ability to cope with stressful situations.
6. Strong background in humanitarian projects.
7. Validated strength in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, E- mail, out look
8. Should be an outstanding teammate and culturally sensitive.
How to apply
Applications should be in English and include the following:
1. An application letter in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria.
2. Concise and accurate CV. The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
3. Kindly state the position for which you are applying as the subject of your application. And send your application to email@example.com. We thank applicants for their interest in the position; however, only shortlisted
candidates will be contacted.
NOTE: Candidates applying for the above position must note that Reference checks will be done especially on Safeguarding, PSEA, and Job qualification/suitability. This Job role is also subject to the availability of Donor funding
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org