Website Jireh Doo Foundation
Voice of the Voiceless
Title: Food Security Officer
Duration: 10 Months
Application deadline: 17th March 2023
Number of positions 3
Advert Status Internal/External
Jireh Doo Foundation (JDF) is a National Non-government organization with over 19 years of existence and actively intervening in the humanitarian response in the Northeast and other parts of the country since 2013. JDF works in the following thematic areas.
1. Improved response to the humanitarian needs of vulnerable people.
2. Improved gender equality and livelihood support for persons at the community level of young persons, men, and women.
3. Promotion of prevention and treatment of HIV and other health disease burdens (Malaria, TB, and Diarrhea).
4. Promotion of protection programs for children and youth in Communities that encourages child development and Adolescent empowerment.
5. Promoting good governance and policies
6. Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability learning, and sharing of information on protection, and livelihood support accessible through
knowledge and information management.
Jireh Doo Foundation is therefore seeking candidates with a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and a minimum of two (2) years of working
in a similar role as a food Security officer and is familiar with the implementation of WFP projects, especially in Deep field locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Facilitate community mobilization, meetings, and coordination of all distribution activities.
2. Work closely with selected community committees/leaders to ensure accountability, fairness, and transparency during the implementation of activities.
3. Work closely with the Project Management Committee (PMC) and other community structures/stakeholders on distribution activity plans.
4. Gather information and data on food distribution activities at the site level through surveys, assessments, regular post-distribution monitoring, and field supervision visits to beneficiary households where necessary.
5. Ensure program activities are implemented according to approved guidelines.
6. Mobilize and raise awareness about the organization, program objectives, and activities to local authorities and the population, and act as a link between the organization and the beneficiaries at the program site and LGA level.
7. Work closely with the project manager to achieve program objectives and targets.
8. Oversee reception of food commodities from trucks, accounting and recording any differences between the number of units received per commodity against dispatched waybill.
9. Support monitoring and evaluation, complaints and feedback, third-party partners monitoring, and beneficiary feedback mechanisms.
10. Perform a monthly inventory of distribution materials to ensure all materials are available and ready to use before the monthly cycle.
11. Coordinate with community leaders to hire manual labor for off-loading trucks and prepare rations at the distribution site.
12. Assist storekeeper in training hired laborers on proper unloading of commodities at the distribution site.
13. Organize and assist in conducting post-distribution discussions with beneficiaries and community leaders after each distribution cycle.
14. Assist Programme Manager in coordinating the reception of commodities and monthly physical inventory.
15. Oversee the reception of food commodities, accounting for the number of units received against the dispatch waybill.
16. Ensure the commodities are neatly stored in the warehouse.
17. Ensure the commodity tracking paperwork is being completed by the Assistants, including stack cards, warehouse ledgers, etc.
18. Support Storekeeper in post-distribution monitoring of physical inventories.
19. Coordinate closely with the Programme Manager to ensure that cross-LGA programs are being implemented in synergy.
20. Sensitize beneficiaries on available feedback mechanisms and maintain an open line of communication with them to obtain feedback and complaints with regard to the existing FSL implementation.
Qualification and experience
1. University Degree or Minimum of Higher National Diploma in FSL-related studies like Agriculture / Agricultural Economics, Development Studies, Economics, Business Administration, Natural Resource Management, Disaster Risk Management or other closely related fields.
2. Minimum of two (2) years’ work experience in humanitarian or development contexts, food assistance, nutrition or livelihood programs with at least 1 year in conflict/insecure contexts.
3. Experience in community participatory methodologies.
4. Excellent communication skills and experience in report writing.
5. Capacity and willingness to base at JDF field locations.
6. Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions. Very good interpersonal skills, particularly in networking, and working with communities, local civil society, and local authorities.
7. Previous experience in using and adapting community-led approaches.
8. Good understanding and knowledge in the application of do-no-harm, and conflict sensitivity principles.
9. Good understanding of protection concerns, including GBV issues in displacement, and human rights.
10. Proven analytical skills.
11. Demonstrated understanding of and ability to maintain confidentiality and respect for beneficiaries.
12. Knowledge and experience with community outreach and mobilization.
13. Positive and professional attitude, including the ability to lead and work well in a team setting.
14. Strong ability to organize work, meet deadlines, coordinate multiple tasks, and maintain attention to detail.
15. Understanding of monitoring processes, learning, adaptation, and evaluation.
16. Fluent in English, Hausa, and other local languages.
17. Experience working in northeastern Nigeria, preferably Borno State.
18. Commitment to humanitarian principles and action, and to JDF’s mission, values, and policies.
19. Excellent computer knowledge and skills in using Microsoft Office and Google Workspace.
How to apply
Applications should be in English and include the following:
1. An application letter in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria.
2. Concise and accurate CV. The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
3. Kindly state the position for which you are applying as the subject of your application. And send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank applicants for their interest in the position; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NOTE: Candidates applying for the above position must note that Reference checks will be done especially on Safeguarding, PSEA, and Job qualification/suitability. This Job role is also subject to the availability of a Donor funding
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com