Website Jireh Doo Foundation
Voice of the Voiceless
Title: PROTECTION ASSISTANT
Location: Borno (Dikwa, Mafa, Rann)
Duration: 10 Months
Application deadline: 17th March 2023
Number of positions: 3
Advert Status: Internal/External
Jireh Doo Foundation (JDF) is a National Non-government organization with over 19 years’ existence and actively intervening in the humanitarian response in the Northeast and other parts of the country since 2013. JDF works in the following thematic areas.
1. Improved response to the humanitarian needs of vulnerable people.
2. Improved gender equality and livelihood support for persons at the community level of young persons, men, and women.
3. Promotion of prevention and treatment in HIV and other health disease burden (Malaria, TB and Diarrhea).
4. Promotion of protection programs for children and youth in Communities that encourages child development and Adolescent empowerment.
5. Promoting good governance and policies
6. Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability learning and sharing of information on protection, livelihood support accessible through knowledge and information management.
Jireh Doo Foundation is therefore seeking candidates with a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and a minimum of two (2) years working in similar role as a Protection assistant and is familiar with the implementation of WFP projects especially in Deep field locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures daily operation of safe spaces and other facilities.
2. Provides timely feedback on issues and complaints raised by beneficiaries.
3. Ensures all protection concerns and/or complaints by refugees are accurately assessed and recorded in the intake, either directly assisting and/or referring individual to appropriate service provider.
4. The Protection Assistant will conduct one follow up of the case, according to operating procedures.
5. Coordinates with service providers to strengthen referral pathway, including weekly referral/case meetings.
6. Works with Protection Officers and Community Based volunteers to conduct protection information and awareness session ‐ community outreaches.
7. Maintains and collects data in line with agreed procedures. 8. Conducts home visits, assessing needs and ensures adequate referral/assistance provided.
9. Work closely with Community Based Volunteers, providing support and guidance in their activities.
10. Carry out awareness-raising activities among the IDP, migrant and refugee communities.
11. Contribute to community empowerment and capacity-building activities with the aim of preventing and/or reducing protection risks and building resilience.
12. In coordination with the Officer, use solid participatory approaches with attention to age, gender, diversity, and vulnerability criteria, to facilitate meaningful dialogues that enable participants to self-identify protection concerns that affect their communities.
Qualification and experience:
1. 1 –2 years of professional experience in the field of humanitarian interventions, human rights, civil society, communication, or community development, preferably with an international humanitarian organization. 2. Experience working with conflict-affected and/or vulnerable groups, including migrant and refugee populations.
3. Experience in community mobilization and implementing community outreach activities.
4. Familiarity with international protection and human rights legal standards, and migration and displacement contexts in Northeast Nigeria
5. Demonstrated capacity to effectively represent a humanitarian organization with individuals and communities and build trust.
6. Prior knowledge of cooperation with local partners will be considered an asset.
7. Degree in a relevant field 8. Fluency in English, Hausa and Kanuri will be an added advantage.
How to apply
Applications should be in English and include the following:
1. An application letter in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria.
2. Concise and accurate CV. The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
3. Kindly state the position for which you are applying as subject of your application. And send your application to email@example.com. We thank applicants for their interest in the position; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NOTE: Candidates applying for the above position must note that Reference checks will be done especially on Safeguarding, PSEA, and Job qualification/suitability. This Job role is also subject to availability of Donor funding.