Website Jireh Doo Foundation (JDF)
Voice of the Voiceless
Title: Safety and Security Officer
Duration: 10 Months
Application deadline: 17th March 2023
Number of positions: 1
Advert Status: Internal/External
Jireh Doo Foundation (JDF) is a National Non-government organization with over 19 years’ existence and actively intervening in the humanitarian response in the Northeast and other parts of the country since 2013. JDF works in the following thematic areas.
1. Improved response to the humanitarian needs of vulnerable people.
2. Improved gender equality and livelihood support for persons at the community level of young persons, men, and women.
3. Promotion of prevention and treatment in HIV and other health disease burden (Malaria, TB and Diarrhea).
4. Promotion of protection programs for children and youth in Communities that encourages child development and Adolescent empowerment.
5. Promoting good governance and policies
6. Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability learning and sharing of information on protection, livelihood support accessible through knowledge and information management.
Jireh Doo Foundation is therefore seeking candidates with a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and a minimum of two (2) years working in similar role as a Safety and Security officer and is familiar with the implementation of WFP projects especially in Deep field locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Analyze the parameters of the working environment by assessing the nature of the threats and JDF vulnerabilities in relation to the emergency situation.
2. Collect the necessary data and information to develop a comprehensive risk assessment.
3. Monitor political, social, economic, and military situations and identify trends relevant to security situations.
4. Contribute to developing a safety and security culture within the mission by addressing and helping staff to address safety and security-related issues.
5. Ensure that security planning becomes an integral part of day-to-day operations and is integrated into the development of future programs
6. Assist with the strategic and operational analysis and assessments, and with the refinement of the program strategies
7. Ensure that the Field Level Security Plans and associated documents are kept up to date and reviewed regularly.
8. Perform security risk assessments or evaluation missions to the field and regularly review safety and security procedures.
9. Ensure the SA meets minimum standards and complies with policies and procedures.
10. Maintain physical safety standards as established by the Safety unit for JDF office and guesthouse at Field level.
11. Organize and circulate relevant safety and security information to the staff and provide an opportunity for employees to voice Safety and/or Security-related concerns.
12. Supervise and enforce compliance safety and security standards and procedures.
13. Ensure that all incoming visitors receive a security briefing and information.
14. Liaise with government, Army, Police, SSS (State Security Services), Local Heads and other key external stakeholders to ensure that CARE staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas
15. Represent JDF and coordinate amongst all actors (state, military, UN, NGO, etc) on all matters pertaining to safety and security.
16. Review periodically past experiences and practices and propose improvements based on analytical judgment
17. Train staff on the incident reporting form and procedures
18. Ensure timely and accurate reporting of safety and security incidents.
19. During any critical incident or crises serve as the Safety and Security unit representation on the Field Level Crisis Management Team (F-CMT)
20. Ensure that all Field Level Crisis management plans are kept up to date and reviewed regularly
Qualification and experience
1. Minimum of First degree in a field related to Humanitarian Work or Risk Management
2. At least 3 years of demonstrative experience in INGO/NGO or UN field (operations) with at least 2 years of field safety management experience included.
3. Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions.
4. Competent and literate in local language of the assigned location(s), verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions.
5. Sound judgment and the ability to work effectively with others at all levels.
6. Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis, and strategic planning skills
7. IT literate, MS – Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
8. Qualifications and / or experience in professional security related fields
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
ii. Building Effective Teams.
iii. Customer Focus
iv. Integrity and Trust
v. Drive for Results
vi. Comfort around Higher management
vii. Business Acumen 8. Negotiating
viii. Organizational Agility.
How to apply
Applications should be in English and include the following:
1. An application letter in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria.
2. Concise and accurate CV. The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
3. Kindly state the position for which you are applying as subject of your application. And send your application to email@example.com. We thank applicants for their interest in the position; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NOTE: Candidates applying for the above position must note that Reference checks will be done especially on Safeguarding, PSEA, and Job qualification/suitability. This Job role is also subject to availability of Donor funding.