The Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) camp is an annual event organized by Jireh Doo Foundation (JDF), the annual event which began in 2004 in December, takes place in Benue State.
The aim of this camp is to keep the children off the street and provide an interactive forum for the total development of children’s moral, mental, psycho-social, nutritional, and spiritual well-being, while safeguarding against the involvement of young persons in social vices during the festive season, and create an avenue for the children to interact with other kids, feel loved and empower them with various innovative activities that will serve as the foundation of solid building in their lives.
Every year is unique with the features and activities that accompany it, the activities for each year makes it more interesting to a different category of people, to the orphans and vulnerable children who have over the years attended the OVC Annual Christmas Camp is a looked forward to the event for every year.
GOALS OF THE OVC
To provide an interactive forum for the total development of the child morally, mentally, psycho-socially, nutritionally and spiritually while safe guarding against the involvement of young persons in social vices during the festive season.
- To provide good nutrition for the participating children at camp.
- To burst self-esteem and enhance psychological support of children with evidence of neglect.
- To promote good morals, knowledge on HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health and educative activities.
- To minimize the vulnerability of children and young persons to risky behaviour such as sexual intercourse, drug abuse, alcoholism, street hawking and begging during the festive season.
- To develop and strengthen capacity of orphans and vulnerable children and young persons through life skill training to overcome stigma, shame, low self-esteem, depression, withdrawal and sexual exploitative.
- To promote career development and pursuit among young person’s through talent identification and skill based education.